Child custody can be modified as income and custodial time increases or decreases. This is true if your ex spouse gets a big bump UP in earnings if you are receivin, or Especially in the case of a decrease in income or job loss, it is important to file for a modification immediately so you do not become in arrears, which bears interest at 10 percent.